This position is accountable for day-to-day Prep Cook operations of a retirement housing project and the achievement of basic Prep Cook are met. The Prep Cook position is primarily responsible for the preparation of all food being served to the residents. The Prep Cook maintains a clean and sanitary workstation throughout the kitchen. The Prep Cook will provide support to the Viridian team throughout the property to include tenant residences, common areas and grounds. This position represents the property owners and Viridian Management to both residents and the public.
Reports to: Executive Chef
Rate of Pay: $13.50/ hour
Directs: Typically, no direct reports.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- 6-months to 1-year experience preferred.
- Valid driver's license and insurance.
- Legally qualified to work in the US.
- Own vehicle.
- Food Handlers Card – Required
Syllabus Req :
- Commence and complete annual safety training
- Commence and complete Federal Fair Housing, non – discrimination training, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities- Duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for maintaining the required uniform (Viridian logo shirt and/or ballcap), identification badge and a professional appearance always.
- Check-in daily with the Executive Chef at the designated time. Maintain communication and make all meetings.
- Prep Cook will prepare a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Ensure the highest possible standards of resident service are provided and listens and responds to residents and employee concerns and questions.
- Prepare fruits and vegetables by serving washing, peeling, cutting or slicing and placing all items in their respective refrigerators for future use.
- Prepare a variety of cold meats, such as cracking or removing the shell from seafood, slicing cold menu items including pastries or sandwiches and garnishes accordingly.
- Responsible for the efficient and economical utilization of all products and by-products to keep a low food cost.
- Ensure consistency of standard portions sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Stock and maintain sufficient levels of food products at the line stations to ensure a smooth service period.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary workstation area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, conventional oven, and refrigeration equipment.
- Prepare items for broiling, grilling, frying, sautéing, or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating.
- Ensure each order is sent out is uniform and consistent, practices portions control and strives to control waste.
- Washes, peels, chops, dices, slices, dresses food items and cook items as required.
- Handles, stores and rotates all product properly.
- Assist in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Close the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assist others in closing kitchen.
- Adheres to food handling procedures according to sanitary regulations.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvements.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Chef.
- Be able to identify and report health and safety concerns to Supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef.
- Practice safety procedures when working with or around sharp objects, including knives and slicers.
- Practice safe and proper use of all equipment always to ensure safety.
- Be familiar with the following:
- Viridian Employee handbook and policies
- Viridian Safety manual
- Landlord/tenant law
- Fair Housing policies
- Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA) policies
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS) book
- Be able to work on an on-call basis, to include overtime and weekends if necessary.
Performance and proficiency standards- To perform the job successfully, an employee should demonstrate the following competency standards:
- Take every measure to protect tenant, client and employee personal information.
- Maintain respectful, productive relationships with vendors, tenants and staff.
- Preplan orders and purchases to ensure timely arrival.
- Complete essential tasks on time and thoroughly.
- Seek out further education and advanced certifications that inform your job and better serve the company. Exhibit a willingness to learn.
- Work in a safe manner regarding OSHA guidelines and all company policies.
- Attend all required training classes and seminars.
- Follow the guidelines and rules contained within the Viridian Employment Handbook and the ADP Basic Employment Policies Handbook.
- Ability to walk property and stand for 6 – 8 hours per day
- Ability to climb stairs
- Ability to crouch, bend and stoop for sustained periods of time 3 – 6 hours per day
- Ability to frequently lift 10 – 50 pounds
- Ability to reach, grasp, push, pull, and carry for up to an hour at a time
- Ability to work on smooth and uneven surfaces
- Integrity- Act ethically, maintaining a commitment to honesty and truth in all facets of behavior that builds the trust of others. Be professional.
- Work Ethic- Understanding that if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. Follow-through on assigned tasks until complete.
- Teamwork- Ability to work with other staff in the accomplishment of a goal. Promote good relationships and mutual respect.
- Communication- Utilize clear and effective communication skills, both written and verbal, to minimize friction and maximize cooperation.
Positive Mental Attitude- Work with the belief that together we can accomplish any task. Help others and be willing to be helped in accomplishment of the company's mission. Be friendly and courteous and strive to generate a positive mental attitude in others around you.